Sonia to reveal party strategy next week
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi is expected to reveal next week the party`s strategy on the way ahead against the backdrop of FDI in retail put on hold and key allies calling for greater coordination in the UPA.
Party sources said Gandhi is likely to address a meeting
of the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) General body next
This will be the first CPP meeting being addressed by
Gandhi in a few months as the Congress President had skipped
the monsoon session on account of ill health.
Gandhi, who is also UPA Chairperson, had gone
abroad for surgery for an unspecified ailment at that time.
Gandhi has for the last several months not been writing
her "Letter to Congress Workers" in the party journal Congress
Sandesh in which she generally details the party policy on
Several UPA leaders believe that the suspension of FDI in
retail was a setback for the Congress-led coalition as two key
allies-Trinamool Congress and DMK remained adamanat on their
opposition to it.
Trinamool Congress has been demanding greater
co-ordination in the UPA and has suggested setting up of a
Coordination Committee. The NCP is also for better
coordination and cohesion in the UPA. The ruling alliance has
been in power at the Centre since 2004 and has no formal
mechanism so far for coordination.
After the suspension of the FDI in retail, the talk in
UPA is that Congress will have to walk the extra mile on all
major issues to keep the allies on board.
Gandhi`s address at the CPP is also expected to contain
the party strategy for the Assembly elections in five states
including Uttar Pradesh where young leader Rahul Gandhi is
leading the campaign charge of `Mission 2012`.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview