Sonia`s election as Cong chief could be delayed
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi is set to be
elected as Congress president for the third consecutive time
soon but a formal announcement may take sometime as Congress
Working Committee is yet to finalize the election schedule.
There is no immediate official word from the party on CWC
The whole exercise generally takes around a fortnight
after CWC finalizes the schedule. Sources in the party said
there was no "tight schedule" for the election as it depended
on the report of the Pradesh Returning Officers of various
states and the elections of delegates.
Gandhi has created a record of being the longest-serving
party president and has completed over a decade since she took
over the top post in 1998 in the wake of the party`s dismal
showing in the Lok Sabha polls that saw the exit of Sitaram
Kesri from the post.
Gandhi has so far been unanimously elected for the
post barring once when Jitendra Prasada, a senior leader from
Uttar Pradesh, had thrown his hat in the ring but failed
miserably in the polls in 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA