Sonia`s election as Cong chief could be delayed
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi is set to be
elected as Congress president for the third consecutive time
soon but a formal announcement may take sometime as Congress
Working Committee is yet to finalize the election schedule.
There is no immediate official word from the party on CWC
The whole exercise generally takes around a fortnight
after CWC finalizes the schedule. Sources in the party said
there was no "tight schedule" for the election as it depended
on the report of the Pradesh Returning Officers of various
states and the elections of delegates.
Gandhi has created a record of being the longest-serving
party president and has completed over a decade since she took
over the top post in 1998 in the wake of the party`s dismal
showing in the Lok Sabha polls that saw the exit of Sitaram
Kesri from the post.
Gandhi has so far been unanimously elected for the
post barring once when Jitendra Prasada, a senior leader from
Uttar Pradesh, had thrown his hat in the ring but failed
miserably in the polls in 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal