Sonia`s leadership led to a resurgent party: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Monday hailed Sonia
Gandhi, who completed 12 years as party president, saying her
leadership has been marked by a resurgent Congress with focus
on values and moral dimensions in politics.
"This has been a journey of solid achievements, new
peaks, social inclusion -- a journey of resurgent Congress
with focus on values and moral dimensions in politics," party
spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters here.
He said the 12 years of Gandhi`s stewardship was marked
by six years of governance at the Centre and today, there are
11 Congress-ruled states.
Referring to the UPA being voted back to power in the
2009 elections, Singhvi said this was the first pro-incumbent
government since 1984.
"This is not about power and position though they are
important in party politics... it has been the quality of
governance which has been the constant endeavour under Sonia
Gandhi," he said, adding that the focus has been on moral
values than anything else.
The spokesman referred to RTI, NREGA, Bharat Nirman,
farm loan waiver, Forest Rights Act, Domestic Violence Act,
Equal Rights for Women Act, Right to Education, social welfare
schemes in the unorganised sector and now the Women`s
Reservation Bill as landmark achievements of the government
when the party is being headed by Gandhi.
"This is a journey not yet complete...," he said, adding
that under Gandhi no one can doubt the bona fide of Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?