Sonia`s leadership led to a resurgent party: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Monday hailed Sonia
Gandhi, who completed 12 years as party president, saying her
leadership has been marked by a resurgent Congress with focus
on values and moral dimensions in politics.
"This has been a journey of solid achievements, new
peaks, social inclusion -- a journey of resurgent Congress
with focus on values and moral dimensions in politics," party
spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters here.
He said the 12 years of Gandhi`s stewardship was marked
by six years of governance at the Centre and today, there are
11 Congress-ruled states.
Referring to the UPA being voted back to power in the
2009 elections, Singhvi said this was the first pro-incumbent
government since 1984.
"This is not about power and position though they are
important in party politics... it has been the quality of
governance which has been the constant endeavour under Sonia
Gandhi," he said, adding that the focus has been on moral
values than anything else.
The spokesman referred to RTI, NREGA, Bharat Nirman,
farm loan waiver, Forest Rights Act, Domestic Violence Act,
Equal Rights for Women Act, Right to Education, social welfare
schemes in the unorganised sector and now the Women`s
Reservation Bill as landmark achievements of the government
when the party is being headed by Gandhi.
"This is a journey not yet complete...," he said, adding
that under Gandhi no one can doubt the bona fide of Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened