Soon, EMU-powered Rajdhanis and Shatabdis
New Delhi: While bullet trains continue to remain elusive, the dream of high-speed trains in India may finally become a reality.
As per reports, Railway Minister Pawan Bansal may finally announce measures in the Rail Budget 2013-14 that would usher in the era of high-speed trains.
Reports said to reduce travel time in train journey, Railways is acquiring Electrical Multiple Units (EMU) train sets for premier services like Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express for operating at a higher speed of 130-150 km per hour.
The decision to adopt train sets technology was first announced in the 2012-13 Railway Budget.
“We are working on introducing modern EMU train sets designed for operations at maximum speed of 130-150 kmph for running premium Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains, without any additional expenditure on existing track and signalling infrastructure,” said a senior Railway Ministry official.
According to the official, existing rail tracks on Rajdhani routes are fit for running trains up to a speed of 150 km per hour, but average speeds of Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains is less than 90 km per hour due to large number of speed restrictions and poor acceleration of existing loco hauled trains.
The Railways are expecting that the proposed modern distributed powered EMU train sets will be free from these bottlenecks, provide faster and safer movement and will substantially reduce running time.
The proposed EMU train sets consist of 21 cars (coaches) and are estimated to cost about Rs 200 crore per train.
The Railways claim modern train sets are eco friendly, noiseless, consume 30 per cent less energy and do not pollute the environment as in case of conventional loco hauled trains.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22