Soon, EMU-powered Rajdhanis and Shatabdis
New Delhi: While bullet trains continue to remain elusive, the dream of high-speed trains in India may finally become a reality.
As per reports, Railway Minister Pawan Bansal may finally announce measures in the Rail Budget 2013-14 that would usher in the era of high-speed trains.
Reports said to reduce travel time in train journey, Railways is acquiring Electrical Multiple Units (EMU) train sets for premier services like Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express for operating at a higher speed of 130-150 km per hour.
The decision to adopt train sets technology was first announced in the 2012-13 Railway Budget.
“We are working on introducing modern EMU train sets designed for operations at maximum speed of 130-150 kmph for running premium Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains, without any additional expenditure on existing track and signalling infrastructure,” said a senior Railway Ministry official.
According to the official, existing rail tracks on Rajdhani routes are fit for running trains up to a speed of 150 km per hour, but average speeds of Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains is less than 90 km per hour due to large number of speed restrictions and poor acceleration of existing loco hauled trains.
The Railways are expecting that the proposed modern distributed powered EMU train sets will be free from these bottlenecks, provide faster and safer movement and will substantially reduce running time.
The proposed EMU train sets consist of 21 cars (coaches) and are estimated to cost about Rs 200 crore per train.
The Railways claim modern train sets are eco friendly, noiseless, consume 30 per cent less energy and do not pollute the environment as in case of conventional loco hauled trains.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!