Soon, hi-tech German coaches in all trains
New Delhi: In the wake of the fire mishap in Rajdhani Express, railways are planning to introduce in general mail and express trains German technology-based Linke
Holfmann Bush (LHB) coaches which have fire-retardant quality and advanced couplers.
Currently LHB coaches are being used only in premier trains like Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto.
"We are planning to introduce LHB coaches in mail and express trains in a gradual manner as these coaches are equipped with fire retardant material and advanced couplers to join coaches," said a senior Railway Ministry official.
While it costs Rs 1.5 crore to manufacture a conventional coach, the LHB coach costs about Rs 2.5 crore. LHB coaches are anti-telescopic and cannot turn turtle
in the event of any derailment or collision, the official said.
The LHB coaches, manufactured under technology- transfer from Germany, have automatic couplers to join two coaches. Unlike conventional coaches where one needs to go inside the coach and move through the vestibule to uncouple
two coaches, these advanced couplers can be very easily
uncoupled from the outside.
Within minutes after the fire started in the pantry in the Mumbai Rajdhani near Thuriya station in Ratlam on Monday, railway staff uncoupled the three passenger coaches from the pantry. The fire-retardant material used in the coaches
ensured that there were no toxic fumes and black smoke that
could have hindered visibility.
"All passengers were able to come out of the coaches
in time and no passenger was hurt in the fire because of LHB
coaches," said the official.
Earlier also Rajdhani passengers had a miraculous
escape after the Bhubaneswar-New Delhi Rajdhani Express
derailed near Gaya. "The derailed LHB coaches stuck to the
ground soon after the derailment instead of capsizing and
rolling over as a result all passengers were safe."
Besides the safety aspects, the LHB coaches offer
better comforts to passengers.
"The LHB coaches are fitted with microprocessor
controlled high capacity air conditioning system, which gives
passengers better comforts during summer and winter season,"
said the official.
Railways have plans to manufacture 3,500 coaches
including 500 LHB coaches in the current fiscal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- Islamic State group claims second German attack in a week
- Former Apple executive is back to lead company's car project
- Mumbai Taxi-rickshaw strike 'put on hold'
- VIDEO: Sushil calls Narsingh's doping row 'unfortunate', wants fellow wrestlers to win medals at Rio
- Pained by death of his buddy 'Tiger', 26/11 canine hero Caesar goes into depression