Soon, laser-guided bombs for IAF’s Jaguars
New Delhi: US defence major Lockheed Martin
has bagged a deal expected to be worth over Rs 100 crore for
supplying laser-guided bombs (LGBs) for the Jaguar fighter
aircraft fleet in the Indian Air Force (IAF).
The IAF plans to induct more than 100 bunker-buster
LGBs for its Jaguar warplanes to destroy strongly fortified
"We have emerged as the lowest bidders in the deal for
supplying LGBs to the IAF. We have offered our Paveway II LGBs
for the Jaguars and contract negotiations are on in this
direction," Lockheed Martin India head Roger Rose said
The IAF had issued a global Request for Proposal (RFP)
for the purpose last year, and Lockheed Martin along with
Raytheon and an Israeli missile manufacturer had taken part in
With their capability to pierce hard surfaces, the LGBs
can also be used to destroy enemy`s concrete runways and
LGBs are guided projectiles that use lasers to strike
a designated target with greater accuracy than a gravity bomb
and were used with high accuracy by the IAF against Pakistani
Army posts during the Kargil war in 1999.
Around the same time, the US had supplied some Paveway
bombs to India which could be launched from the Jaguar and
Mirage 2000 planes for accurately striking enemy targets.
The earlier lot of the American bombs to the IAF was
supplied by Raytheon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days