Soon, photo ID must for non-AC train travel
New Delhi: Railways is set to make it mandatory for passengers travelling in non-AC sleeper class to carry identity proof as part of its efforts to check the widespread menace of transferred tickets sold by touts.
The decision to carry a valid I-card for train passengers in non-AC reserved class is being finalised and likely to be announced shortly, a senior Railway Ministry official said.
"This is being done to strengthen measures to keep a check on passengers travelling on transferred tickets," the official said.
Earlier in February, Railways had made it mandatory for AC class passengers to carry identity proof with them. Passengers travelling on a Tatkal or an e-ticket are also required to carry I-cards while undertaking train journey.
"Non-AC travellers were kept out of the photo I-card decision at that time," the official said, adding that "the policy ambit is being widened now so that every passenger in reserved class onboard a train has a valid identity card."
Once the decision is announced, passengers failing to produce original identity proof in sleeper class, as and when asked for, will be treated as "without ticket" and charged accordingly.
The rule will apply for all sorts of tickets, including those for sleeper class, issued by Railways through computerised passenger reservation system (PRS) or Internet.
The decision to introduce photo I-cards for sleeper class passengers is likely to deter touts from booking tickets on fictitious names and selling the same to passengers at a premium price, the official said.
Passengers can carry any of these nine ID proofs while undertaking train journey -- voter ID card, passport, PAN card, driving licence, photo identity card having serial number issued by central/state government, student identity card with photograph issued by recognised school/college, Aadhar card, nationalised bank passbook with photograph and credit cards issued by banks with laminated photograph.
A campaign will be soon launched to spread awareness among passengers of sleeper class regarding the move to carry photo identity cards, the official said. Message will be printed on train tickets for spreading awareness among the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof