South Asian Fishermen Fraternity urges govt to detain US ship
Kochi: The South Asian Fishermen fraternity today urged the Indian Government to act immediately to detain the crew and the US Naval ship from which shots had been fired killing an Indian fisherman and injuring three others in Dubai waters.
The government should not keep mum saying the incident had occurred in another country, General Secretary of the Fraternity, Father Churchill told PTI from Kanyakumari.
Just as the government had acted in the case relating to shooting to death of two Indian fishermen by Italian marines on board Enrica Lexie off kerala waters, the government must act immediately in this instance also, he said.
The affected fishermen were Indian nationals, having valid passports and have visa to work in Dubai, he said.
The Fraternity has asked its legal advisor at Qatar, Nizar Kochery, to look into the matter and do the needful.
Churchill also urged the government to take steps to bring the body of the deceased fisherman to his native Ramanathapuram in Tamil Nadu as early as possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'