Southern Railway introduces two Durontos, 14 other new trains
Chennai: Southern Railway Wednesday announced the
introduction of 16 new trains, including two Duronto services,
in its new Time Table coming into effect from Thursday.
Besides the bi-weekly Duronto expresses between Chennai
and Coimbatore and Ernakulam and Lokmanya Tilak terminus
(Mumbai), nine other long distance trains and five passenger
services form part of the Time Table, unveiled by Southern
Railway General Manager Deepak Krishan here.
Other new trains are Chennai-Haldia Express,
Chennai-New Jalpaiguri, Puducherry-Katpadi, Nagercoil-Bangalore
and Tiruchirapalli-Mangalore (all weekly), Coimbatore-Tirupati
(tri-weekly), Madurai-Tirupati and Ernakulam-Pune (bi-weekly)
and Kozhikode-Thiruvnanthapuram (five days a week).
The date of launch of these trains would be notified later.
Krishan said the guage conversion work on
Thiruvananthapuram-Tenkasi, Dindigul-Palani and
Palakkad-Pollachi lines would be completed by March 2011.
The proposed doubling works in the region would be
completed by this year end, he said, adding work on the new
lines from Nagore to Karaikal and Nagapattinam to Vailankanni
would be completed very soon.
He aid the Southern Railway had also proposed to construct
about 100 road-over-bridges across the region. "This year we
will complete at least 40 bridges," he said.
On the commercial front, he said Railways had planned to
rent out spaces in all stations in the region for the purpose
In 2009-10, Southern Railways operated 2,230 special
trains compared to 2,070 in the previous year, which resulted
in 13 per cent increase in revenues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details