Soz appeals to PM for release of J&K youth acquitted in blast case
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee (JKPCC) president Saifuddin Soz on Friday appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to direct the release of two youth, who were acquitted in the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blasts case by the Delhi High Court but were arrested again.
"I make a strong plea for immediate release of these two persons and it is thereafter that the Police should arraign them in a special court, if they have any credible evidence against them," Soz wrote in a letter to the Prime Minister.
Soz termed as "atrocious" the behaviour of Delhi Police in the discharge of their duty.
"It is extremely deplorable that the Delhi Police arrested two Kashmiri boys Mirza Nisar Hussain and Mohd Ali Bhat (of Srinagar) in 1996 in connection with the blasts in Delhi`s Lajpat Nagar market and then subjected them to indescribable atrocities for 16 years.
"The Delhi High Court in its judgement has found that the Police was wrong in its action against these two boys (they were 16 years old in 1996) and ordered their immediate release," he said.
Soz said police have arrested the two youth again in some other case and their families are not in a position to move the court again.
The PCC president sough compensation to the families of the two youth.
"I would also make a strong plea for rehabilitation of these two persons. In my opinion, the Home Ministry should go into the question of punishing the police officers found responsible for lodging false complaints and for conducting fictitious investigations," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir