`SP-BSP scuffle over job promotion quota bill unfortunate`
New Delhi: Terming the scuffle between SP and BSP members in Rajya Sabha during the introduction of a bill to provide reservation in promotion for SCs/STs as "unfortunate", Union minister V Narayanasamy on Wednesday said the government will have to "live with the situation".
"I had to face (similar) turbulance in the House (Rajya Sabha) when I moved the Lokpal Bill (in the winter session). But we`ll have to live with the situation," the Minister of State for Personnel told reporters after introducing the Constitutional amendment bill.
The copy of the Lokpal bill was torn by a RJD member.
"I knew they (MPs opposing the bill) were going to come near me, therefore, I did not carry any papers (today)," he said, adding that he introduced the bill without reading out from any document.
Narayanasamy said introduction of the bill was a "historic moment" as it will help SCs/STs get back reservation in promotion which was withdrawn following judicial pronouncements.
The minister said the bill to ensure continuance of reservation in promotions was brought following demands from state governments.
To questions on SP`s opposition to the proposed legislation, Narayanasamy said the party was opposed to the move and took the same position in the House today.
"We took all the initiatives. There is no delaying tactic...If some political leaders say something for political expediency, I will not comment," he said, when asked to comment on BSP chief Mayawati`s attack on Congress and BJP for failing to get the bill passed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer