SP goes slow on any rethink on ties with UPA
New Delhi: After upping the ante over Beni Prasad Yadav issue, Samajwadi Party today appeared to be going slow on any rethink on its ties with UPA, with its chief Mulayam Singh Yadav saying he will take a call when "time comes".
The SP Parliamentary Party, which met here to discuss future of its relations with Congress, authorised the party chief to take a decision in the party`s "interest".
During the hour-long meeting, the party discussed pros and cons of withdrawing outside support to the government.
The general view was that since there was little possibility of a mid-term poll at the moment, SP should adopt a wait and watch policy and see what the other parties are doing after DMK withdrew from the UPA.
SP has 22 members in the 543-member Lok Sabha and its support to UPA is critical after DMK quit the alliance.
Amidst SP`s increased value following the withdrawal of DMK from the UPA, Yadav decided to keep the cards close to the chest when he said that the MPs have authorised him to take any decision on various issues at an appropriate time.
"How can you decide on the timing? I will take a decision on various issues when the time comes," he told reporters in response a volley of questions like when he will decide on the future of ties with the UPA.
At the meeting, the party MPs, led by their chief, slammed Verma, Steel Minister, for his strong comments against Yadav, sources said. The comments and the perceived defiance of Verma has forced the SP to have a rethink on its ties with Congress, particularly since its demand for his removal was not met.
However, Yadav told the MPs that Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have personally intervened and promised to take Verma to task and the party should wait for a while before making the next move.
Yadav himself felt that Verma, who was once a member of SP and close to him, should have apologised personally instead of going to the media.
Verma was yesterday virtually forced to appear before media to express regret. He did so after meeting the Prime Minister and being escorted by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide