SP hints at backing Cong Prez nominee, others cold to Sangma
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday got a big boost in the Presidential election race with Samajwadi Party hinting at backing its candidate even as other parties appeared cold to former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma`s candidature for the top post.
"One condition, he should not be a bureaucrat," SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav told reporters here when asked whether his party would support a Congress candidate.
SP and BSP together have more than one lakh vote value in an electoral college of about 11 lakh.
NCP too said that it is with UPA on the issue of Presidential nominee.
"We are with UPA on the issue", NCP leader Praful Patel said adding "we have told MP Agatha Sangma, daughter of PA Sangma, not to accompany her father when he goes out for campaigning for his candidature".
On the other hand, 64-year-old Sangma, who belongs to NCP, today met CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik who, along with his Tamil Nadu counterpart Jayalaltihaa, had proposed his candidature and later appealed to political parties to support a tribal nominee.
Sangma hoped the parties, including those of UPA and NDA, would resond to the "call of conscience" of the tribal people of the nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read