SP leader Azmi defends controversial remarks on women
Mumbai: Samajwadi Party leader Abu Azmi on defended his remarks that a woman and a man entering into sexual relations outside marriage should be punished, drawing sharp criticism from activists.
"Our religion does not allow women to have sexual relations with anyone, except her husband. If a man and a woman decide to have sexual relations with consent, then both of them should be punished," he told PTI.
Azmi has made these remarks in his reply submitted to the Maharashtra State Commission for Women (MSCW), which had asked him to explain his earlier statement that women who have sex outside their marriage must be punished too.
Invoking Islam, the MLA, who appeared before the Commission today, said a woman in illicit relation should be punished along with the man involved.
Azmi said at times, law is misused by women. "If a woman voluntarily enters into a relationship with a man and later complains against him, it can have disastrous consequences."
Reacting to Azmi`s reply, MSCW Chairperson Sushiben Shah said it is not right on part of the SP leader to cite religion and deprive women of their rights.
"The Constitution of India, the Supreme Court and Protection Against Domestic Violence Act have given acceptance to live-in relationships and provided protection to women, including Muslim women," Shah said.
"The law of the land should be applicable to all women irrespective of their religion, caste or creed," Shah added.
Shah said since Azmi has raised a religious matter, she would examine and act accordingly. "We would like to see that regressive remarks are not made by people sitting on high positions in society."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark