SP leader to move privilege motion against Antony
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party MP Mohan Singh is planning to move a privilege motion against Defence Minister AK Antony for not giving a "proper" answer to his written query on Army Chief Gen VK Singh`s age issue in Rajya Sabha.
On September 07, a day before the Monsoon session ended, Antony had replied to Singh`s query saying that Army Chief`s date of birth has been maintained as May 10, 1950 at the time of appointment as corps commander in 2006 and subsequently had a little over eight months left in service.
"The Defence Minister has not given a proper reply to my question and I am not satisfied. I have sought clarification from him and if he also then doesn`t give a proper reply, I will move a privilege motion against him in the next session," the Samajwadi Party leader said.
Singh said the defence minister has accepted that a different date of birth also exists in certain documents and mentioned May 10, 1950 as Army chief`s date of birth from the year 2006 but he has not given any explanation about the records prior to 2006.
"Antony has not told me which date of birth existed in Gen Singh`s service records prior to 2006. If it was different, then was there any bungling in changing it? All these things have to be clarified," he said.
Gen Singh has two sets of dates of birth in service records. While the military secretary branch records it as May 10, 1950, the adjutant general`s branch has May 10, 1951 in its documents.
The Defence Ministry has already rejected Gen Singh`s plea to treat May 10, 1951, which will give him an extra ten months in office, as his date of birth.
He has now filed a statutory complaint with the Defence Minister against the ministry order declaring his May 10, 1951 date of birth record in adjutant general`s branch as "null and void and non est".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow