SP leader to move privilege motion against Antony
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party MP Mohan Singh is planning to move a privilege motion against Defence Minister AK Antony for not giving a "proper" answer to his written query on Army Chief Gen VK Singh`s age issue in Rajya Sabha.
On September 07, a day before the Monsoon session ended, Antony had replied to Singh`s query saying that Army Chief`s date of birth has been maintained as May 10, 1950 at the time of appointment as corps commander in 2006 and subsequently had a little over eight months left in service.
"The Defence Minister has not given a proper reply to my question and I am not satisfied. I have sought clarification from him and if he also then doesn`t give a proper reply, I will move a privilege motion against him in the next session," the Samajwadi Party leader said.
Singh said the defence minister has accepted that a different date of birth also exists in certain documents and mentioned May 10, 1950 as Army chief`s date of birth from the year 2006 but he has not given any explanation about the records prior to 2006.
"Antony has not told me which date of birth existed in Gen Singh`s service records prior to 2006. If it was different, then was there any bungling in changing it? All these things have to be clarified," he said.
Gen Singh has two sets of dates of birth in service records. While the military secretary branch records it as May 10, 1950, the adjutant general`s branch has May 10, 1951 in its documents.
The Defence Ministry has already rejected Gen Singh`s plea to treat May 10, 1951, which will give him an extra ten months in office, as his date of birth.
He has now filed a statutory complaint with the Defence Minister against the ministry order declaring his May 10, 1951 date of birth record in adjutant general`s branch as "null and void and non est".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail