SP objects to policy announcement outside House during session
New Delhi: UPA ally Samajwadi Party on Monday voiced strong objections in the Rajya Sabha to remarks made by Union Minister Salman Khurshid in Lucknow on backward Muslims reservation and demanded a clarification from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Raising a point of order, Naresh Agrawal (SP) said, "The Chair in both Houses of Parliament has observed umpteen times that ministers should not make policy announcements outside, when the session is on. Minister of External Affairs had yesterday announced outside the House that Government was going to give four per cent reservation to Muslims on Andhra Pradesh model and is going to amend the Constitution.
"This is a policy matter but it was not mentioned either in the President`s address or in the speech of the Leader of the House but the minister announced it outside. Then what is the use of these speeches," he said.
Agarwal also wanted to know whether the government has any plan for it or the minister has made this announcement "merely for cheap popularity".
"Prime Minister should come in the House and tell whether the government has taken any decision or the minister is making the statement merely for cheap popularity," he said.
Reports had it that Khurshid said in Lucknow on Sunday that Congress was not opposed to the idea of reservation of backward Muslims but those jittery about letting the party get credit for implementing it were creating hurdles.
Citing parliamentary rules, Agrawal said it clearly explains how such policy matters are to be placed before Parliament and how the government can announce it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister