SP protests to ensure normal functioning of Parl: Jaiswal
Kanpur: Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Saturday dismissed suggestions that SP chief Mulayan Singh Yadav has joined hands with the opposition on coal block allocation issue by holding a protest and claimed the action was aimed at ensuring normal functioning of Parliament.
"Yadav has supported our government and we express our gratitude to him...Whatever he has demanded is with the aim that Parliament should run, whose proceedings have been halted by the BJP. That is his purpose and we are hopeful that he will be successful," Jaiswal told reporters after flagging off a new superfast Kanpur-Allahabad Intercity Express train here.
UPA`s outside supporter SP along with the Left parties and TDP had yesterday staged a dharna at the main entrance of the Parliament building, demanding a judicial probe into coal blocks allocation and cancellation of licenses failing which they threatened to launch a countrywide agitation.
Jaiswal also sought to trash the allegations about his relatives being allotted coal blocks.
"I don`t understand how the names of my relatives are cropping up when not even a single coal block has been allocated in my tenure...I don`t know if any Jaiswal was allotted a coal block earlier. As far as Jaiswal surname is concerned, everybody from the community in the country are our relatives," the coal minister said.
Asked whether he foresees emergence of a Third Front after the dharna staged by Yadav, Jaiswal said, "Attempts to form a Third Front have been made at least a dozen times in past. We do not feel that any such front is in the offing even this time."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore