SP says quota bill unconstitutional
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party on Wednesday dubbed as "unconstitutional" the bill to provide reservation in promotion for SCs and STs in government jobs and threatened to oppose the measure tooth and nail.
Soon after the introduction of the bill in Rajya Sabha amid scuffle between SP and BSP members, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav said the bill is "unconstitutional in nature. We will continue to oppose it with all our might."
He said the measure will create chaos in administration.
"Juniors will become seniors. Is it some kind of a joke? Running the government has become a joke," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh had recently issued an ordinance to repeal an order of the previous BSP government providing reservation in promotions to SC/ST employees.
The order was also struck down by the Allahabad High Court and the Supreme Court recently.
Rajya Sabha witnessed high drama as a scuffle broke out between SP and BSP members when the government introduced the Constitutional amendment bill.
The bill, which circumvents a Supreme Court order quashing such a decision of Uttar Pradesh government in April, seeks to bring certainty and clarity in the matter by substituting a clause of Article 16 of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi