SP, Shiv Sena thwart consideration of quota bill in RS
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party and Shiv Sena on Thursday thwarted an attempt in the Rajya Sabha to take up for passage the contentious Bill providing for quota in promotion for SCs and STs in government jobs.
The Constitution Amendment Bill, which was introduced in the House yesterday amid commotion and scuffle between members of SP and BSP in the House, could not be taken up even as Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy rose to move it for consideration and passage.
Members of SP and Shiv Sena trooped into the Well shouting slogans against the proposed legislation. Their protest was coupled with that of BJP members who were shouting slogans to press for resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over coal block allocation issue.
The House saw uproar by members of SP, Shiv Sena and BJP when it met at 2 PM after two adjournments over coal issue as soon as the Chair asked to move the Bill as per the listed business.
P J Kurien, who was in the Chair, asked the protesting members to resume their seats so that the Bill could be considered. However, as the din continued, he adjourned the House for the day.
Earlier at noon also, SP members shouted slogans "reservation in promotion will not be allowed" while BJP members were chanting demands for the Prime Minister`s resignation. Six of the SP members led by Naresh Agrawal were in the Well.
Md Adeeb, an Independent member of the Upper House with the support of both Congress and SP, also joined the protest in the Well.
The Bill seeks to circumvent a Supreme Court order quashing such a decision of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan governments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir