SP to strongly oppose Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party on Friday said it will strongly oppose the Lokpal Bill in Parliament, holding it was against the very basis of democracy.
"We are strongly opposed to the very concept of Lokpal. People who are elected by the people in elections are dishonest and only the Lokpal is honest. This is against the very basis of democracy," SP leader Naresh Agrawal told reporters here.
He was asked to comment on the tabling of the report of a Select Committee which went into the Lokpal Bill.
In the last session also, Agrawal was the first to oppose it in Rajya Sabha and had sought to bring a motion for referring the Bill to a 15-member select committee of the House.
Agrawal said the issue of creating a Lokpal has been there since the times of Jawaharlal Nehru and Atal Bihari Vajpayee but it was not implemented then and "why it should be implemented now."
"The acceptance of the institution of Lokpal is to express disbelief in Parliamentary democracy. This cannot be allowed to happen," he said.
When pointed out that his party colleague Ramgopal Yadav was also a member of the Select Committee on Lokpal, Agrawal said, "He would have registered his protest and views there also."
Asked if his party was opposed to any particular clause in the Bill, he said, "We are against the whole Bill. We will openly oppose it in the House."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price