Spain arrests: No connection with Mumbai attacks
New Delhi: The six Pakistanis and an African
national arrested in Spain do not appear to have any links
with the Mumbai terror attack and they are suspected to have
indulged only in a racket of supplying fake documents.
Sources in the Home Ministry quoting preliminary
information coming from Barcelona, where the seven persons
have been arrested, said that as per a communication the group
is however believed to have connection with terror outfit "Al
Qaeda" though no evidence has surfaced so far.
The presumption of the Spanish police seems to be merely
on suspicion and no documents suggest that they used to work
for terror outfit Lashker-e-Taiba(LeT), a group which was
responsible for carrying out the terror strike in Mumbai in
2008 that left 166 people dead.
India had sought information from Spain on the arrest of
six Pakistanis and one Nigerian who were alleged to have
provided forged passports to LeT and groups linked to
The information about the busted terror cell, the
arrested men, their activities and photographs had been sought
from Spain through diplomatic channels.
Indian intelligence agencies had been told to be in
touch with their international counterparts to get information
about the activities of the arrested men.
"Our primary objective was to get the identities of
these men established and then find out their precise roles in
terror activities and if they had any hand in 26/11 Mumbai
terror attacks," an official said, adding, however, there
seems to be no evidence to link them with the carnage.
The six Pakistanis and a Nigerian were arrested recently
in the Spanish city of Barcelona for their suspected role in
providing forged passports to LeT and groups linked to
Three others -- two Pakistanis and a Thai national --
were held in Thailand as part of the same Operation Kampai.
Two Pakistani nationals -- 60-year-old Mohammad Yaqub
Janjua and his son 31-year-old Aamer Yaqub Janjua--were
arrested by the Italian police last year for allegedly
transferring money for the Voice over Internet Protocol
The two were arrested in Brescia and were accused of
aiding and abetting international terrorism as well as illegal
financial activity. The Madina Trading agency, which operated
on the Western Union money transfer circuit, was searched by
police in Italy.
However, they were released on bail and are believed to
have been deported even before Indian security officials could
come and question them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'