Speak on Katju allegations, AIADMK to Manmohan Singh
New Delhi: The AIADMK on Wednesday raised the issue of corruption in the judiciary in the Rajya Sabha and sought an explanation from former prime minister Manmohan Singh.
Citing the revelations made by Press Council of India chairman Justice Markandey Katju, AIADMK leader V Maitreyan said Manmohan Singh should give a clarification on the issue.
"Manmohan Singh owes an answer to the country. He should break his silence. His silence only confirms the allegation," Maitreyan said.
Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien, however, said that the former prime minister was not liable to answer.
"He is not the prime minister anymore. He is not expected to answer," said Kurien.
Katju in his blog Sunday said an additional judge of the Madras High Court was appointed during the UPA regime despite an Intelligence Bureau report revealing charges of corruption against him.
The AIADMK members charged their arch-rival DMK of interfering in the appointment of the high court judge when Katju was the chief justice of the Madras High Court in 2004 and sought to know who in the DMK had pressurised the then UPA government not to take action against the judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev