Speaker advises seniors not to set bad example for new MPs
New Delhi: Irked by frequent disruptions from senior members, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan on Tuesday advised them to desist from it as they would present a bad example before the newly elected MPs.
"This is not the way. So many new members have come and some have returned after a few years. Please speak when you are given the chance. Such interruptions are not correct," she said telling them that disruptions would not set a good example for new comers.
Her observation came during the debate on the Motion of Thanks on the President`s address, which was initiated by BJP member Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
Rudy outlined the BJP government`s plans for development and criticised performance of the previous UPA government, inviting sharp reaction from opposition benches.
TMC members Sultan Ahmed, Kalyan Banerjee, Congress` Deepinder Singh Hooda and Adhir Ranjan Choudhury strongly objected to the remarks and asked Rudy to concentrate on the President`s speech.
Noisy scenes were also witnessed when Rudy, without taking any name, said the country`s democracy has been "growing" in such a manner that even if someone goes to jail, his spouse occupies his place as chief minister.
RJD members Rajiv Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav strongly objected to the remarks and came to the Well protesting as it was an apparent reference to Rabri Devi wife of RDD supremo Lalu Prasad.
Rudy, however, said if anyone was hurt by his remarks, he withdrew the words.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre