Speaker advises seniors not to set bad example for new MPs
New Delhi: Irked by frequent disruptions from senior members, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan on Tuesday advised them to desist from it as they would present a bad example before the newly elected MPs.
"This is not the way. So many new members have come and some have returned after a few years. Please speak when you are given the chance. Such interruptions are not correct," she said telling them that disruptions would not set a good example for new comers.
Her observation came during the debate on the Motion of Thanks on the President`s address, which was initiated by BJP member Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
Rudy outlined the BJP government`s plans for development and criticised performance of the previous UPA government, inviting sharp reaction from opposition benches.
TMC members Sultan Ahmed, Kalyan Banerjee, Congress` Deepinder Singh Hooda and Adhir Ranjan Choudhury strongly objected to the remarks and asked Rudy to concentrate on the President`s speech.
Noisy scenes were also witnessed when Rudy, without taking any name, said the country`s democracy has been "growing" in such a manner that even if someone goes to jail, his spouse occupies his place as chief minister.
RJD members Rajiv Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav strongly objected to the remarks and came to the Well protesting as it was an apparent reference to Rabri Devi wife of RDD supremo Lalu Prasad.
Rudy, however, said if anyone was hurt by his remarks, he withdrew the words.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town