Speaker asks Opposition to learn from Vajpayee
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar
on Thursday shot off barbs at the BJP for disrupting the House,
saying the opposition should learn from Atal Bihari Vajpayee
who believed in rising above partisan politics and engaging in
purposeful debates in Parliament.
Kumar`s remarks were even more embarrassing for the
principal opposition as she was speaking at a BJP programme
organised to release a DVD of Vajpayee`s speeches in
Parliament and collections from his diary.
Lavishing praise on Vajpayee for his unparalleled
oratorical skills, Kumar said, "Today the frequent disruptions
in Parliament are a major cause of concern for me. It defeats
the purpose for which members are elected and sent to the
House by the people. Engaging in purposeful debate would
increase the prestige of the House across the world."
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, JD-U
President Sharad Yadav, BJP MPs L K Advani, Bal Apte, Ananth
Kumar, party president Nitin Gadkari, and former Speaker
Manohar Joshi were present on the occasion.
Though she did not specifically name the BJP, the fact
that she was making this clear at a programme organised by the
party and at a time when the principal opposition is one of
the main culprits of disruptions was not lost on the audience.
The Speaker insisted that Vajpayee was unlike the
Parliamentarians of today as he favoured putting across one`s
point of view inside the House and not force adjournments.
"Disruptions are not good for democracy. The voice of
the weak remain suppressed when this happens. Members should
follow the example set by Vajpayee," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!