Speaker asks Opposition to learn from Vajpayee
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar
on Thursday shot off barbs at the BJP for disrupting the House,
saying the opposition should learn from Atal Bihari Vajpayee
who believed in rising above partisan politics and engaging in
purposeful debates in Parliament.
Kumar`s remarks were even more embarrassing for the
principal opposition as she was speaking at a BJP programme
organised to release a DVD of Vajpayee`s speeches in
Parliament and collections from his diary.
Lavishing praise on Vajpayee for his unparalleled
oratorical skills, Kumar said, "Today the frequent disruptions
in Parliament are a major cause of concern for me. It defeats
the purpose for which members are elected and sent to the
House by the people. Engaging in purposeful debate would
increase the prestige of the House across the world."
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, JD-U
President Sharad Yadav, BJP MPs L K Advani, Bal Apte, Ananth
Kumar, party president Nitin Gadkari, and former Speaker
Manohar Joshi were present on the occasion.
Though she did not specifically name the BJP, the fact
that she was making this clear at a programme organised by the
party and at a time when the principal opposition is one of
the main culprits of disruptions was not lost on the audience.
The Speaker insisted that Vajpayee was unlike the
Parliamentarians of today as he favoured putting across one`s
point of view inside the House and not force adjournments.
"Disruptions are not good for democracy. The voice of
the weak remain suppressed when this happens. Members should
follow the example set by Vajpayee," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...