Speaker calls meeting of leaders of political parties
New Delhi: In a move to facilitate
greater interaction with members, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has called a meeting of leaders of political parties here Wednesday.
Kumar`s initiative has come in the backdrop of the
`mock` Parliament held in Lok Sabha by some opposition parties
during the Monsoon session which had come under sharp attack
from all quarters.
The meeting is being held ahead of the winter session
of Parliament which will commence on November nine.
A meeting of the floor leaders is also being called on
the opening day of the winter session to ensure that the
month-long session was a smooth affair.
Kumar`s move to convene the meeting comes in the light
of suggestions from various leaders that she should hold
interaction with political parties during the inter-session
period too for greater communication.
At the last meeting of leaders of political parties
several of them had regretted the mock Parliament. Kumar had
made known her disapproval of frequent disruptions of the
monsoon session during which much time was wasted ver the issue of deciding modalities for holding discussions on price rise.
"Those who frequently disturb the House constitute
approximately 4 per cent of the total strength of the House.
Around 96 per cent of the Members want the House to function
smoothly. Disruption of the proceedings is in essence
tantamount to violation of the rights of these 96 per cent of
the members," a concerned Kumar had said.
Leader of Lok Sabha Pranab Mukherjee and Leader of
the Opposition Sushma Swaraj have been invited for the meet
as also leaders of various political parties including Mulayam
Singh Yadav (SP), Lalu Prasad (RJD), Mamata Banerjee (Trinamool Congress) and T R Baalu (DMK).
Parliamentary Affairs Minister P K Bansal will also be
present besides Minister of State for Parliamentary affairs
Prithviraj Chavan and V Narayanasamy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre