Speaker for more women as conflict negotiators
New Delhi: Women are creative and innovative
when it comes to resolving conflicts and enabling dialogue
and it is important to expand their role as negotiators and
peacemakers, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said on Tuesday.
"Research indicates that women generally are intuitive
and collaborative and thus more inclined toward consensus and
compromise. This has proven successful in negotiating
conflicts and enabling dialogue," the Speaker said.
She was speaking on `Women in Conflict` at the Indrani
Devi Centenary Lecture.
Kumar said that studies indicated that women were
creative, innovative and are in touch with the grass root
realities and have first-hand knowledge of what really would
work in finding effective solutions to problems which threaten
our world today.
The Speaker observed that to be an effective and
stabilising force, women are working in unanimity to the
extent possible, and in spite of geo-cultural differences are
building up networks and support groups to amplify their
agenda for poverty reduction and other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- David Cameron's successor - Britain's next Prime Minister: Who, how and when?
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics