Speaker offers Maldives assistance in conducting Prez polls
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday offered Maldives all possible assistance in conducting the upcoming Presidential elections which she hoped would be held in a free, fair and credible manner.
This was conveyed by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar to a Parliamentary Delegation from the Maldives led by Abdulla Shahid, Speaker, Peoples Majlis.
Kumar hoped that the elections in that nation are held in a free, fair and credible manner, a Lok Sabha Secretariat statement said.
She also expressed India`s commitment to offer any assistance that may be required in the preparations and smooth conduct of elections in close coordination with the Election Commission of Maldives.
Lok Sabha Speaker urged the Maldives to take measures that would establish investor confidence as well as the commitment to further bilateral ties.
Kumar also called for structural reforms and effective implementation of measures to prevent harassment and improve the living conditions of the expatriate work force from India.
She lauded the important role and contribution of almost 30,000 Indians to the growth and prosperity of the Maldives.
Noting that India and Maldives enjoy special and time- tested relations, Kumar underscored India`s continued commitment to further strengthen the relationship and diversify into newer areas for the benefit of people of both the countries.
She said India and Maldives have a collective task in creating an atmosphere of strong understanding and interdependences in the region so that collective progress and prosperity could be achieved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says