Speaker rejects BJP, Left demand for separate debate on FEMA
New Delhi: Opposition BJP and Left parties Tuesday demanded separate debates with voting on FDI in retail and related amendments in Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) rules in Lok Sabha, but it was vociferously opposed by the government and rejected by Speaker Meira Kumar.
The demand for separate discussion and voting was raised by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha and supported by CPI-M leader Basudeb Acharia and Gurudas Dasgupta of CPI.
But, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who is Leader of the House, opposed the demand.
After considering the two views, the Speaker ruled that the debate on FDI and FEMA will be held together after which vote can take place separately tomorrow.
Informing that she had consulted Nath and Shinde, she said the two issues are related and "therefore to avoid repetition it was decided to have combined discussion ..."
Citing a rule, Sinha said debate and voting on FDI in retail under Rule 184 should not be clubbed with the one regarding modifications to FEMA notifications issued by the RBI in October.
He said members have right to move amendments to FEMA modifications up to 30 working days from the day it was tabled in Parliament and that right should not be taken away.
"I request, doing so (clubbing the two) is not proper," he said, demanding separate debate and vote.
He noted that the notification was tabled on November 30 and the 30-day period will not end even on December 20, the last of the current Winter Session.
Sinha said the FEMA issue can be carried forward and discussed in the Budget Session or even the Monsoon Session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi