Speaker says will take decision on LoP within next four days
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has said she will take a decision on the issue of Leader of Opposition within the next four days after going through the rules and Attorney General`s letter on the matter.
Mahajan said the Speaker did not enjoy any personal discretion while choosing a member as LoP and was only meant to follow rules and precedents to arrive at a decision.
"I will see all the rules and also the letter of Attorney General. I have to see what`s there and what is not. Speaker cannot do anything...I have to go by the rules. Within one to four days, I`m expecting a decision on this," she said.
Pointing out instances when there had been no LoPs, she said: "Many a times, there was no Leader of Opposition. First LoP was only in 1969 as before that no one had 1/10th (seats) in Lok Sabha. There was no LoP in 1980 and also in 1984.
"Now also the numbers are not adequate for LoP...So have to see," she said.
In view of the dilemma she was facing over the issue, Mahajan had sought AG Mukul Rohtagi`s opinion on the matter.
In his letter, Rohatgi opined that Congress is not eligible and there is no precedent since the days of the first Lok Sabha to grant the post to a party which does not have the minimum required MPs.
The AG`s opinion came as a setback to Congress which has made a strong pitch for the Leader of Opposition post despite securing just 44 seats in the 543-member House. A party has to win 55 seats to get 10 per cent members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa