Speaker to hold all-party meeting on Nov 21
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has convened an all-party meeting on November 21, the eve of Winter session of Parliament, to discuss with floor leaders of various parties the issues they wish to raise and to ensure smooth functioning of the House.
The meeting, to be held at noon on Wednesday, is likely to be attended by Leader of the House in Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, JD(U) president Sharad Yadav, CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta, RJD Chief Lalu Prasad, among others.
Though such a meeting is customary, the November 21 meeting acquires significance as the Monsoon session of Parliament was a virtual washout with several days being wasted due to disruptions and adjournments.
With TMC announcing that it will bring a no-confidence motion against the government, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his senior ministers have reached out to the UPA allies and supporting parties to ensure it has the numbers in such an eventuality.
The government has said it is ready for any motion that other political parties wish to bring in Parliament.
BJP and other opposition parties plan to raise the FDI in multi-brand issue and may seek division of votes after a discussion. Other issues include coal allocation anomalies in which the opposition has targeted the Prime Minister as well as the recent scams. Price rise and corruption are the other issues.
Singh had also invited BJP leaders Swaraj, her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley and NDA Working Chairman L K Advani for dinner yesterday to discuss contentious issues and garner opposition support for passage of some crucial Bill.
The dinner was, however, cancelled at the request of Swaraj following the death of Shiv Sena supremo Balasaheb Thackeray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India