Speaker to take up parliament canteen food issue: Venkaiah
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan is expected to take up with all concerned the issue of providing food in Parliament in the wake of complaints from several members over the bad quality.
Indications to this effect was given by Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu while talking to reporters here today.
He said several MPs complained to the Speaker about the quality of food served in parliament canteen.
Several Members have specials wanted hot chapati and not those prepared hours ago, Naidu said.
JD(U) MP K C Tyagi yesterday raised the issue of bad quality food being served in the canteen and said members were falling sick after consuming food from Parliament canteen and SP members Ram Gopal Yadav and Jaya Bachchan were the latest victims.
Congress MP Rajeev Shukla, who is also the member of food committee, has said that food cooked at 6 AM is served till late night which was causing the problem.
Meanwhile, railways, which runs the canteen, has offered to provide pre-cooked food at Parliament and it has shortlisted three top caterers for the job.
We have written a letter to the Secretary General of Lok Sabha seeking permission for providing pre-cooked meals of private caterers, according to a senior Railway Ministry official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH