Special AI flights bring back stranded passengers from Leh
New Delhi: Air India today operated three
special flights from Delhi to Leh bringing back 331 passengers
stranded there after the Friday`s cloudburst that left 145
people dead and over 500 missing.
"We operated three special flights on Delhi-Leh-Delhi
sector today and flew back 331 passengers from Leh who were
stranded there due to cloudburst," an Air India spokesperson
The Airline charged a single special fare of Rs 9000
instead of regular fare of Rs 11,661 from the passengers, he
said. The flights had left Leh at 7.50, 11.05 and 11.40 this
Air India has decided to operate four special flights on
Delhi-Leh-Delhi sector tomorrow, and one each additional
flight on Jammu-Leh-Jammu sector and Srinagar-Leh-Srinagar
The flights will leave for Delhi at 5.25am, 5.30am,
8.15am and 9.15am tomorrow and the fare will be Rs 9000 only,
the spokesperson said.
Since the tragedy, Air India has operated six special
flights from Leh out of which five were on Delhi-Leh-Delhi
sector and one on Jammu-Leh-Jammu sector and flew back a total
number of 553 passengers to Delhi and 103 passengers to Jammu.
Yesterday, the airline had deployed two Airbus 320
aircraft to bring passengers from Leh to Delhi and one from
Leh to Jammu.
The Civil Aviation ministry had yesterday asked Air
India, Jet airways and Kingfisher airlines to operate three
flights each to bring back the stranded passengers for today.
The Ministry had also asked them not to charge exorbitant
fare following the complaint from the air travellers.
The Kingfisher airline today operated two flights from
Leh to Delhi and brought back 290 tourists.
"We operated today one scheduled flight and an additional
flight to bring back the tourists. We deployed Airbus 320
aircraft with a capacity of 175 seats but due to load penalty
we could only accommodate 145 passengers in each flights," a
Kingfisher spokesperson said.
Load Penalty is the restrictions followed by the airlines
which operate to Leh airport to carry a certain amount of load
including the passengers and baggages as the airport is
situated at high altitude and does not have a long runway.
Meanwhile, Kingfisher will operate four of its flights --
one scheduled and three additional -- from Leh to Delhi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now