Special cell set up to monitor terror funding
New Delhi: The Union Home Ministry has
formed a new cell which will focus on effectively dealing with
funding of terrorist activities in the country.
A special attention was being paid for terror funding of
separatists and terror groups in Kashmir and the constitution
of Combating of Funding of Terrorist (CFT) is a step in this
direction, officials said.
Besides this, a Terror Funding and Fake Currency (TFFC)
Cell in National Investigation Agency (NIA) has also been
constituted to focus on investigating the flow of money into
anti-national activities, the officials said.
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh informed the
Lok Sabha that 43 cases of terror funding have been registered
since 2009 by various state and central probe agencies.
A multi-disciplinary group at the state and central level
has been entrusted with the responsibility of enquiring into
the sources of funding of Kashmiri terrorists, he said.
CFT will be the first-ever such cell and function under
the Ministry of Home Affairs, but will be headed by an officer
of the Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax), they said.
It will be a nodal office among various probe agencies to
deal exclusively with cases of terror financing and instances
of money laundering for such activities.
The cell will liaise with agencies like the Department of
Revenue Intelligence (DRI), Intelligence Bureau (IB), Income
Tax Department, Enforcement Directorate, CBI and Directorate
General of Customs and Central Excise Intelligence and later
scrutinise information collected from central police
organisations and the Financial Intelligence Unit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof