Special envoy on Kashmir to bridge Indo-Pak differences: OIC
Washington: Appointment of special envoy
for Jammu and Kashmir by Organizations of Islamic Countries
would help bridge the gap between India and Pakistan and
address the issue of minorities in India, a top OIC official
"The role of the Special Envoy is to help in bridging
the gap between the two countries namely Pakistan and India,"
OIC secretary general, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu said.
He was in Washington to meet US Secretary of State
Ihsanoglu of Turkey, who heads Jeddah-based IOC – a
grouping of 57 member Muslim countries – said this was not for
the first time that a special envoy for Jammu and Kashmir has
OIC, early this week, had announced the appointment of
Abdullah Bin Adbul Rahman Al Bakr, a Saudi national and OIC`s
assistant secretary general of political affairs, as the
special OIC envoy on Jammu and Kashmir at a meeting at the UN
headquarters in New York.
"This is nothing new. (It is) just a continuation of
the previous special representative. You know there has been a
decision taken years back asking OIC secretary general to
appoint special envoy," Ihsanoglu said.
Ihsanoglu added that Al Bakr`s predecessor to the post
of assistant secretary general of political affairs was also
the ex-officio special OIC envoy for Jammu and Kashmir.
"So it is just a formality to continue this position,"
Without going into detail, Ihsanoglu said, "We
recognise that there is some problem there with the Muslim
minority, which we are dealing with."
This was the mandate given to OIC by Ministers of
Foreign Affairs and Summits, he said, adding, "I have to say
that this is part of our activities vis-à-vis minorities in
the outside OIC member countries."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks