`Special status has entered interesting phase`
Patna: The campaign for special status for Bihar has entered an "interesting" phase and the Centre will have to consider the demand now or in future following the successful rally at Delhi, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said Tuesday.
Kumar told the assembly that he would, however, not like to take credit for the campaign and he had always said the special status would boost development in the state for the benefit of over 10 crore people.
On Leader of the Opposition Abdul Bari Siddique`s quip that the chief minister had kept even trusted ally BJP out of the special status campaign, Kumar said he chose to keep the issue an affair of his party alone as it could have led to lack of coordination.
"When you have 10 parties working together, there could be lack of coordination," Kumar said.
He said he did not want to make the special status issue a `symbolic` affair but wanted to pursue it in an effective manner.
Attacking RJD for claiming its share of credit for the special status demand, Kumar said the main opposition party had never raised the demand but sought a special package for Bihar post-bifurcation.
"The RJD leadership has been displaying contradictory charactor by not pushing for special status demand when it had the opportunity to do so and not being generous in giving credit to us when we intend to pursue the matter to logical end," he said.
Kumar said "it is a peculiar conduct of the opposition party as it neither does anything on its own for betterment of Bihar and its people not lets others do it."
RJD did not raise the special status demand post-bifurcation of Bihar and only wanted a special package of Rs 1.79 lakh crore to compensate it for financial losses arising out of division of the state, he said and vouched for authenticity of RJD`s stand saying he was aware of all details being a minister in the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview