`Special task force to monitor women`s security`
New Delhi: The government is planning to set up a special task force under the union home secretary to look into safety and security of women, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said in the Rajya Sabha where members expressed anguish and outrage at the torture and gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus here.
"A committee headed by the union home secretary will be set up to look into the safety issues of women in Delhi by taking the suggestions made by the MPs today," Shinde said.
Members after members expressed outrage over the shocking incident, which has left the woman in a critical condition in a hospital.
Shinde promised "immediate action" in the case.
He also said that Delhi Police are taking various steps to make Delhi a safe place for women.
"Some facts about making Delhi a safer place by Delhi Police for women at night is - all roads are covered by PCR vans at night, the frequency of patrolling is kept high. Specific routes have been identified which are used by women returning from their work places like call centres," he added.
The minister also said that criminal law amendment bill has already been introduced in the Lok Sabha with the aim of rationalising laws related to sexual offences against women.
In this amendment, the punishment for rape has also been increased and made more stringent, the minister said.
Both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha discussed the torture and gang-rape of the para-medical graduate in Delhi and asked the government to take stern steps against her attackers.
Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj even demanded that rapists should be hanged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof