Speed up road works on China border: Antony to BRO
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Friday
asked the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) to speed up the
construction of strategic roads along the boundary with China
for enabling swift movement and deployment of troops there.
At a meeting to review the performance and functioning of
the BRO, the Defence Minister asked top officials of the
organisation to expedite work on more than 50 roads along
the border, BRO sources told agency.
Government has accorded high priority to the construction
of these roads and had even pulled out a BRO unit from
construction of a highway passing through the naxal-infested
areas of Chhattisgarh.
This project has also been marred by allegations of
financial irregularities for which the Defence Ministry had
ordered a Court of Inquiry (CoI) under Lt Gen SS Sengupta,
Commandant of the Pune-based College of Military Engineering.
The Minister asked the BRO to prioritise the air lift of
construction equipment to remote locations in the hilly areas
for these projects.
BRO has also been trying to negotiate contracts with
private operators to augment the airlift support provided to
it by the Indian Air Force (IAF) choppers.
The Ministry has also been assured full support by the
Environment Ministry for providing environmental clearances
for construction activities under this strategic project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'