SPG security to Vajpayee to continue: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Government on Tuesday made it clear
that former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee will continue
to enjoy SPG security.
"Atal Bihari Vajpayee is an SPG protectee...I think the
government has consciously decided that we should provide him
SPG security," Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters
Replying to a question about deployment of a large number
of policemen for VIP security, Chidambaram said after he took
charge as Home Minister in 2008, the Home Ministry reviewed
the security of VIPs and reduced security of many of them.
"After I took over, we did review. We did reduce the
security for many protective persons. It is a continuous
process. Review takes place once in three months. How many
people will protest after we do something, I don`t know," he
According to a Home Ministry report, 16,788 VIPs,
mostly ministers, MPs, MLAs, judges and bureaucrats, were
guarded by 50,059 policemen in 25 states and Union Territories
in 2010 for six months or more.
Interestingly, only 28,298 police personnel were actually
sanctioned to be deployed for protection to these VIPs in that
The story was worse in 2009 when more than double than
the actual allotted strength of policemen were deployed to
provide security to 17,451 VIPs across the country.
The allotted strength of policemen for VIP security in
that year was 23,637 but actually 47,355 police personnel were
deployed to protect these prominent people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!