Spice Mobiles asked to pay Rs 15,000 for defective handset
New Delhi: A consumer forum here has asked Spice Mobiles Ltd to pay Rs 15,000 as compensation to a man for selling him a "defective" handset and directed it to either replace the set or refund its cost.
The South West District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum noted in its order that the mobile had stopped working within 11 days and even the authorised service centre of Spice, Hot Spot, could not rectify the problem.
"It stands established from documents proved on record by complainant (customer) that the handset purchased by him was found dead within 11 days of purchase. The mobile manufactured by opposite party 3 (Spice) was found dead on January 12, 2010 and was returned by their service centre, opposite party 2 (Hot Spot) being beyond repair.”
"Thus, we find all the three opposite parties (Spice, its retail shop and Hot Spot) guilty of deficiency-in-service. We direct them to jointly and severally, either replace the handset or to refund Rs 3,000 (its cost) subject to handing back the defective handset," a bench presided by Narendra Kumar said.
The forum also directed them to "jointly and severally" pay Rs 15,000 as compensation to complainant Ombir Singh.
Singh had alleged that the Spice mobile phone purchased by him for Rs 3,000 in 2010 stopped functioning and became dead within 11 days.
He took it to the service centre, Hot Spot, which could not repair the handset, Singh said, adding that even though the warranty period was not over, the phone was not replaced.
Spice had countered Singh`s allegation saying he had gone to the service centre after the warranty period had expired and the phone was damaged due to mishandling by him.
The forum, however, rejected their contention saying the receipt issued by its service centre proved that Singh took the mobile for repair during the warranty period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly