Spirituality in education will help curb crime: Rama Jois
Bangalore: Observing that judiciary and legislation alone cannot curb crimes, Rajya Sabha member M Rama Jois on Sunday stressed the need for including spirituality in education system to guide the youth properly towards success in life and mould them into law-abiding citizens.
"What does law do? It punishes the offenders. It cannot comprehensively prevent crimes that are manifestations of the uncontrolled human mind. We need a paradigm shift in our education system if we have to usher in reform in society, change the mind-set of dominated society," the former Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice said.
Jois was addressing delegates at the international conference on yoga, ayurveda and spirituality (ICYAS), 2013.
"In case we have an education system that imbibes the values of dharma, respect for elders and women, from elementary schools, crime level will come down naturally. In the process, yoga and spirituality will ensure the right to happiness of an individual," he said.
The Rajya Sabha MP lamented that many sections of society misunderstood the concept of "dharma".
"Dharma is not connected to any particular religion. It purely refers to the code of conduct of an individual. Had we included dharma in our education system, we would not be witnessing such deterioration of values in society, including rapes and outraging modesty of women," he said.
Sead Avdic, Ambassador of Bosnia and Herzegovina to India, commended India`s contribution to world peace.
"India is the mother of civilisation and culture...It should restore the world order by promoting its values of peace and non-violence," he said.
Our country has suffered because of ethnic cleansing, violation of human rights and genocide two decades ago, Avdic said.
"Today, we are in a multi-cultural society, and we want peaceful co-existence and harmony in the world. India can show the way forward by spreading the benefits of yoga and ayurveda," he said.
Delegates from over 30 countries participated in the day- long event, organised jointly by Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research & Holistic Health Trust, Bangalore and Sri Ramanujam Mission Trust, Chennai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price