Spl anti-Naxal force for Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Chhatisgarh
New Delhi: Four Naxal-affected states will raise specialised forces trained in guerilla warfare on the lines of the much acclaimed `Greyhounds`, a special police unit in Andhra Pradesh.
In a scheme funded and approved by the central government, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Odisha will get funds to create and upgrade infrastructure, weaponry and equipment to combat the Naxal menace.
The proposed outlay during the 12th Plan in this regard is Rs 280 crore by the central government and around Rs 56 crore by the state government concerned, the Union Home ministry said in its proposal.
The funding that will help beef up the police forces of these states will be done under the Home Ministry sponsored Scheme for Special Infrastructure (SIS).
The Home Ministry said the step to adopt a new strategy is being taken in the background of the success achieved by the Greyhounds in AP in combating Left Wing Extremism.
The Ministry has, however, put certain riders on the states before the funds are released.
"The Special Force of the state concerned has to be upgraded as per the approved guidelines of Greyhounds. Even if a Special Force has been raised in some form in the state concerned, they are required to be reoriented through the entire process mentioned in the guidelines. The state will strictly adhere to these guidelines.
Only states providing such an undertaking will be considered for funding under the scheme," the Home Ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi