Sportsperson-turned-politician Narah gets ministerial berth
New Delhi: A three-time MP, Ranee Narah is a former sports person and a prominent face of the young brigade of Congress in Assam to make her debut in the Union Ministry on Sunday.
Narah, who has been made a Minister of State in Tribal Affairs Ministry, began her political career with Congress in 1995 and became the general secretary, vice-President, and president of the Assam Pradesh Youth Congress in a short span of time.
A mother of two sons, Narah, currently an MP from prestigious Lakhimpur constituency in Upper Assam, was first elected to 12th Lok Sabha from the same constituency in 1998. The 47-year-old again won the Lok Sabha polls in 1999 and 2009.
A graduate from Gauhati University, Narah was active in sports since her college days and represented Assam in volleyball, weightlifting, shot put, discus throw and cricket.
She also captained the Assam`s Women cricket team and was a left-arm orthodox bowler and a left-handed batswoman. Narah was the President of the Women`s Cricket Association of India.
In 1986, Narah married Bharat Narah, a prominent tribal leader who was a Minister in Assam Gana Parishad (AGP) government. He later joined Congress and held a number of portfolios in two successive governments led by Tarun Gogoi before losing the election in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'