SP`s Abu Azmi adds to Mulayam`s rape shocker, says girls should be hanged too
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Mumbai/Lucknow: On Thursday, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav shocked everyone by defending rapists, saying they should not be hanged for committing a `mistake`.
“Ladkon se aisi galtiyan ho jati hain, to iska matlab yeh to nahi ki unhe phaansi de di jaaye (Boys make mistakes, but this doesn’t mean you hang them),” Mulayam said at a rally in his home state Uttar Pradesh.
On Friday, his party representative in Maharashtra, Abu Azmi, went a step further and said victims in rape cases should also be punished!
Speaking to a leading Mumbai tabloid, Azmi said, “Rape is punishable by hanging in Islam. But here, nothing happens to women, only to men. Even the woman is guilty.”
“In India, if you have sex with a person with consent, it’s fine. But if that same person complains, it’s a problem. Nowadays, we see a lot of such cases. Girls complain when someone touches them, and even when someone doesn’t touch them. It becomes a problem then, and the man’s honour is ruined in this. If rape happens with or without consent, it should be punished as prescribed in Islam,” the SP Maharashtra chief said further.
“If any woman, whether married or unmarried, goes along with a man, with or without her consent, she should be hanged. Both should be hanged. It shouldn’t be allowed even if a woman goes by consent.”
Both Mulayam and Azmi are facing flak for their controversial remarks.
“If a senior politician like Mulayam Singh Yadav makes such comments then it`s worrying, it is sad,” said Delhi braveheart Nirbhaya`s father, adding that the safety of women is at stake because of leaders like him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...