Sri Lanka: Body of missing Indian fisherman found
Rameswaram: The body of one of the four Indian fishermen who had gone missing while at sea was found washed ashore at Nedunthivu along the Sri Lankan coast, according to the Ramanathapuram Fishermen Association and officials of the Fisheries Department.
The body of Victus (42), hailing from Rameswaram, who had been missing since April 2, was found yesterday, said Gnanaseelan, president, Ramanathapuram Fishermen Association.
Meanwhile, tension prevailed in the coastal fishermen areas as the fate of three others on the boat was not known.
The fishermen claimed there was "no chance" that the boat in which Victus had gone fishing would sink because it was a big vessel. It could have been attacked by the Sri Lankan Navy and then sunk, they told the officials of the assistant director of Fisheries Department here.
Gnanaseelan also alleged that more than 1,500 Indian fishermen who were fishing in 300 boats between Dhanushkodi and Katchativu were "chased away" by the Lankan Navy early
The Lankan Navy had turned back on seeing the Indian Coastguard Patrol, he said.
Meanwhile, Rajesh Doss, the Inspector General of Police, Coastal Security, told reporters that the fishermen had been advised not to cross the International Maritime Border Line.
He said four Sri Lankan Navy men were missing for the past one week, and all the coastal villages and fishermen had been alerted and asked to inform the police if they were spotted.
Talks were being held with the Sri Lankan officials to prevent the attack on Indian fishermen, Doss said.
He said the 18 check posts along the Ramanathapuram coastal areas had been temporarily suspended as the policemen there had been deployed on election duty. The functioning of the check posts would be revived shortly, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'