Sri Lankan minister criticises SM Krishna
Colombo: A Sri Lankan minister on Tuesday
criticised the External Affairs Minister SM Krishna`s
suggestion for investigation into alleged human rights abuses
in the island during the final battle with the LTTE.
"The Indian foreign minister has said that human rights
abuses in Sri Lanka need investigation. I would like to tell
him that investigation must start with the time of Indian
troops in Sri Lanka," Wimal Weerawansa, the leader of the
National Freedom Front and the Minister of Engineering
services in the government of Mahinda Rajapaksa said.
"Abuses happened during the very start of the conflict
under President Jayawardene. All heads of state after him
fought the war. But only President Mahinda Rajapaksa was able
to finish it."
"I must tell everyone that the least number of rights
abuses took place during the last stages of the war,"
Weerawansa, a key ally of Rajapaksa said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'