Sri Lankan Navy arrests 25 Indian fishermen
Colombo: At least 25 Indian fishermen have been arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly poaching in the country`s waters.
Naval spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said that the fishermen were arrested on Friday night off the coast of Karainagar in the northern Jaffma peninsula for violating Sri Lanka`s international maritime boundary.
Their six trawlers were also seized. They were handed over to the police in the islet of Kayts for further action, the Navy added.
Fishermen from both countries often stray into each other`s territory as both countries are divided by a small strip of sea.
Last month, the Sri Lankan Navy arrested 53 Indian fishermen arrested. On March 15, 34 of them were released after India summoned Sri Lanka`s Deputy High Commissioner and lodged a strong protest over the arrest of the fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range