Sri Lankan Navy arrests 25 Indian fishermen
Colombo: At least 25 Indian fishermen have been arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly poaching in the country`s waters.
Naval spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said that the fishermen were arrested on Friday night off the coast of Karainagar in the northern Jaffma peninsula for violating Sri Lanka`s international maritime boundary.
Their six trawlers were also seized. They were handed over to the police in the islet of Kayts for further action, the Navy added.
Fishermen from both countries often stray into each other`s territory as both countries are divided by a small strip of sea.
Last month, the Sri Lankan Navy arrested 53 Indian fishermen arrested. On March 15, 34 of them were released after India summoned Sri Lanka`s Deputy High Commissioner and lodged a strong protest over the arrest of the fishermen.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation