Sri Lankan Navy arrests 25 Indian fishermen
Colombo: At least 25 Indian fishermen have been arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly poaching in the country`s waters.
Naval spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said that the fishermen were arrested on Friday night off the coast of Karainagar in the northern Jaffma peninsula for violating Sri Lanka`s international maritime boundary.
Their six trawlers were also seized. They were handed over to the police in the islet of Kayts for further action, the Navy added.
Fishermen from both countries often stray into each other`s territory as both countries are divided by a small strip of sea.
Last month, the Sri Lankan Navy arrested 53 Indian fishermen arrested. On March 15, 34 of them were released after India summoned Sri Lanka`s Deputy High Commissioner and lodged a strong protest over the arrest of the fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre