Sri Lankan Navy arrests 49 Indian fishermen
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Navy arrested 49 Indian fishermen on Thursday when they entered the country`s waters illegally.
Navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya told Xinhua that 24 fishermen were arrested off the northern seas of Mannar while another 25 were arrested off Jaffna, also in the north.
At least 10 boats had also been seized, the Navy spokesman said. Police spokesman Budhika Siriwardena said that the first Indians had been brought ashore and handed over to the police.
Fishermen from both countries often stray into each other`s territory as both countries are divided by a small strip of sea.
Indian fishermen say India`s gifting of the Katchatheevu Island in the north to Sri Lanka in the 1970s has reduced fishing space available for Indian fishermen.
India and Sri Lanka have an agreement on dealing with fishermen when they are arrested and most often the fishermen are freed and handed over to the respective countries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra