Sri Lankan Navy arrests 49 Indian fishermen
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Navy arrested 49 Indian fishermen on Thursday when they entered the country`s waters illegally.
Navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya told Xinhua that 24 fishermen were arrested off the northern seas of Mannar while another 25 were arrested off Jaffna, also in the north.
At least 10 boats had also been seized, the Navy spokesman said. Police spokesman Budhika Siriwardena said that the first Indians had been brought ashore and handed over to the police.
Fishermen from both countries often stray into each other`s territory as both countries are divided by a small strip of sea.
Indian fishermen say India`s gifting of the Katchatheevu Island in the north to Sri Lanka in the 1970s has reduced fishing space available for Indian fishermen.
India and Sri Lanka have an agreement on dealing with fishermen when they are arrested and most often the fishermen are freed and handed over to the respective countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY