Sri Lankan Navy arrests 56 Tamil fishermen in two days
Colombo/Rameswaram: At least 56 Tamil fishermen have been arrested and their boats seized by Sri Lankan Naval personnel on charges of fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary in 48 hours, officials said on Saturday.
30 fishermen from Rameswaram were arrested and their five mechanised boats seized by the Navy personnel while fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded by India to the neighbouring country, around 5 PM today, they said.
Official sources said the arrested fishermen were taken to Talaimannar by the Navy.
They had last night arrested 26 fishermen, who ventured into the sea in six mechanised vessels from Karaikal, South-East off Kodiakarai coast and took them to Kangesanthurai port in Sri Lanka, the sources said.
However, Sri Lankan Naval spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said in Colombo that the fishermen were arrested while fishing off the coast of Karainagar in the northern Jaffna peninsula for allegedly violating that country`s international maritime boundary.
They were handed over to the police in the islet of Kayts for further action, he said.
Representatives of Fishermen Associations in Rameswaram and Karaikal convened an emergency meeting and urged the authorities to take urgent steps to secure the release of all the Tamil fishermen detained in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lankan Navy had last month arrested 53 Indian fishermen. On March 15, 34 of them were released after India summoned Sri Lanka`s Deputy High Commissioner and lodged a strong protest over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, MP and Bihar; Ganga flowing above danger mark
- Grand welcome back home: PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand thank Telangana government for wonderful reception
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside