Sri Lankan Navy injures 16 Tamil Nadu fishermen
Sixteen fishermen from this island were injured in a mid-sea attack allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel while fishing near the international
maritime boundary line (IMBL) in the Palk Strait, police said.
The Lankan Naval personnel allegedly attacked the fishermen
with wooden logs, stones, bottles resulting in fracture to a
25-year old fisherman and bruises and bleeding injuries to
others last night, police said.
Mathiazhagan, who suffered the fracture, has been admitted
to the government hospital here while several other fishermen,
whose back were swollen with weals and bruises, were treated
at private hospitals, they said.
Mathiazhagan said it was a "brutal" attack by the Lankan
navalmen who surrounded 25 boats of the fishermen. "They
damaged the boats, snapped the fishing nets and lashed us
with logs and pelted stones," he said.
A Fisheries Departmet official described the attack as a
violation of human rights.
Local fishermen association leaders Sesu and Devaraj
alleged the Sri Lankans, who had come in a Naval ship,
intimidated and frightened the fishermen.
The two slammed the Centre for remaining `mute spectator`
to the recurring attacks on fishermen of Tamil Nadu.
Referring to the prompt action taken in recent incidents of
killing of two fishermen off Kerala coast by Marines onboard
Italian oil tanker and hit-and-run case allegedly involving a
Singapore flagged ship, they sought to know "Why the
Government is silent even after 300 fishermen had been killed
by the Lankan Naval men (over the recent years)."
They also demanded that the government take steps to
recover the fish catch seized by Sri Lankan navalmen and also
file a case for attacking "innocent" fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert