Sri Sri starts 8-day campaign to clean Yamuna
New Delhi: Spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi
Shankar on Tuesday night launched an eight-day programme to clean
Yamuna and create awareness among people to restore the
river`s past glory.
At a function here, Ravi Shankar said people should join
hands and make others aware about making water of the river
clean, pure and drinkable.
"Earlier rivers used to pure us, but today we have reached
a stage where we have to clean the rivers. Only the government
and a single agency can`t make it happen. We have to make it
by joining hands," he told a gathering of bureaucrats,
artists, politicians and dignitaries at the Purana Quila here.
Ravi Shankar exhorted people to take the cleaning work as
an emergency call and said the Art of Living with the help of
various governmental and non-governmental agencies will begin
the cleaning of the Yamuna Ghats from tomorrow till March 24.
Ravi Shankar will himself begin the drive at ITO tomorrow.
The government launched a programme in 1993 but so far it
has not been completed, he said, adding that it is the "sacred
duty" of Delhiites to not only clean the river but also fight
against all the ills and pollution in society.
"We will make the programme a success, I have the habit of
making possible the impossible. So together we will make the
programme a success," he said and stressed that the government
should not worry about money as through contributions crores
of rupees can be collected.
Over 100 NGOs have extended support to the initiative and
will organise mass awareness programmes in schools, colleges
and door-to-door campaign on the cleaning of the Yamuna in the
national capital and surrounding areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP